WHAT IS AN ELOPEMENT?
When someone hears the word “elopement”, many people think of young couple running away together and getting married in secret. While this may have been the case many years ago, in today’s world (especially during worldwide pandemic) the word elopement has taken on an entirely new and different meaning.
This is our definition of an elopement:
AN ELOPEMENT IS A WEDDING DAY FOR COUPLES WHO DESIRE AN INTIMATE, EMOTIONAL, AUTHENTIC AND MEANINGFUL EXPERIENCE DESIGNED AND INTENTIONALLY PLANNED TO FOCUS ON THE COVENANT MADE BETWEEN THE BRIDE AND GROOM AND THEIR LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER.
- Elopements allows a couple to focus on their love and commitment to one another without getting lost in the stress and added pressures of a traditional wedding.
- Elopements is usually a small ceremony which can be a gathering of close family and friends, or just the bride and groom.
- Whether it’s an all-day hike to a mountaintop to exchange vows or a small gathering in your backyard, elopements are a fun and unique way to have a wedding day that is personalized to the couple and best represents them and their story.
- Elopements are for people who don’t desire a big and extravagant day, but prefer something small and intimate.
WHY SHOULD I ELOPE?
As mentioned before, here are some top benefits to eloping…
- It’s a day about YOU – Again, an elopement is an all-day celebration centered around the two of you and the vows you made to one another.
- Smaller ceremony – whether it’s the two of you or close friends and family, a smaller guest list means more intimate time to spend with the people who are most meaningful to you.
- Less stressful – Wedding planning can be overwhelming. Having an elopement takes away a lot of the stress, expenses and planning so you can relax and enjoy YOUR wedding day.
- Cheaper than a traditional wedding – According to the Knot, the average cost of a wedding in 2019 was $34,000. Based on your photographer, location, etc., the average elopement can be anywhere from $5,000 – $15,000. An elopement is SIGNIFCANTLY cheaper, but also you are able to choose quality of quantity in a lot of areas.
- You value experience – many people say with traditional weddings “your wedding day goes by so fast you hardly remember it”. If this is the case, the details, expensive glassware, table décor, and the investment in all the little purchases that goes towards a bigger wedding gets forgotten in the shuffle of the day. BUT what if that money is put towards an experience that matter most to the both of you? Again, eloping is significantly cheaper than the average traditional wedding so instead of investing in items, you can invest in an elopement allows you to invest in an experience and remember for a lifetime.
- Epic location. Epic photos. – Again, with an elopement, you can get married ANYWHERE! Whether on a gorgeous mountaintop, a beach in Bali, or in your backyard, you can style and make the wedding day best fitting to you.
- It’s your wedding DAY. Not a photoshoot – It’s called your wedding day for a reason. For an elopement, it is an all-day experience, not just exchanging vows. Just like a traditional wedding, the photos of your elopement should capture the day to where you can look back on those photos and treasure them for a lifetime.
WHAT DOES AN ALL-DAY ELOPEMENT LOOK LIKE?
Here is a sample 8-hour timeline of what your elopement could look like!
1:00 pm: We arrive at the Airbnb
1:30 pm: Take photos of bride and groom getting ready and detail shots
3:00 pm: First look portraits (one of our favorite parts of the day!)
3:30 pm: Leave the Airbnb for scenic ceremony spot
4:30 pm: Arrive at ceremony (whether just the two of you or meet and greet close friends and family)
5:00 pm: Ceremony/vows
5:30 pm: Portraits/Family Portraits at ceremony spot and surrounding areas
6:00 pm: First dance as a couple
6:30 pm: Picnic dinner as a couple and amongst family and friends
7:00 pm: Sunset portraits with the couple
8:00 pm: Continue celebrating with friends and family
9:00 pm: Wrapping up the day. YOU DID IT! YOU’RE MARRIED!
Thank you for reading! Choosing to have an elopement is a great way to center your wedding day around you and your love. I hope these helpful lists and tips help you in the planning process of how you want to remember and treasure your special day!<3
If you have questions, myself (Taylor) and my husband are wedding photographers and would love to chat! Please feel free to reach out to us below and check out our Mercy Photography home page link and we can help make your vision for your wedding day a reality <3
Taylor & Caleb – Mercy Photography